Culligan UK x FGR
- Drinking water specialists, Culligan UK, have partnered with Forest Green Rovers, recognised by FIFA as the “world’s greenest football club”, to champion sustainable hydration in football.
- The partnership will provide sustainable drinking water solutions for fans, players, and visitors of Forest Green Rovers, reducing waste that comes from single-use plastic bottles.
- 7 billion plastic bottles are bought across the UK each year, resulting in substantial amounts of single-use plastic waste.
Culligan are proud to announce our partnership with Forest Green Rovers (FGR) in our joint mission to reduce single-use plastic waste in sport. As FGR leads the way in sustainability in football, we are excited to support the club with a comprehensive set of hydration initiatives to provide fans, players, and visitors with eco-conscious solutions inside the stadium.
In total, 7.7 billion plastic bottles are bought in the UK each year which leads to a substantial amount of unrecyclable waste. Today’s news comes after the Department for Environment and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) announced a ban on a range of single-use plastic items in England, including plates, trays and cutlery, as the UK clamps down on polluting plastics.
While many football clubs have taken steps to reduce single-use plastic, this partnership with Culligan stands out as one of the first in delivering a complete and comprehensive sustainable hydration solution across all areas of the stadium.
The Complete Hydration Solution
The initiatives provided by Culligan for FGR include:
- Pitch side Hydration: Outdoor bottle filling stations, proudly branded with Culligan’s and FGR’s logos, have been strategically placed in all stands. These stations give fans convenient access to refill their water bottles, promoting sustainability and reducing single-use plastic waste.
- Hospitality Suites: For those seeking a premium matchday experience, FGR’s hospitality areas, including the Black and White Lounge, have undergone recent expansion and major upgrades. Among the enhancements is the installation of a premium filtered chilled and sparkling water dispenser, accompanied by a reusable bottle system. This initiative not only elevates the fan experience but also reinforces the club’s commitment to sustainable practices.
- Changing Rooms: A boiling and chilled filtered water tap has also been installed in the changing rooms. This ensures that the team themselves have access to sustainable hydration solutions, aligning perfectly with the club’s overarching sustainability goals.
These hydration initiatives underscore FGR’s holistic approach to environmental responsibility, extending beyond the stands and into every element of the stadium. FGR is famous for being the world’s only vegan football club. The club’s eco-friendly efforts encompass all aspects of its operations including energy, transportation, food, waste management, and conservation of nature and biodiversity.
Mike Ryall, Managing Director of Culligan UK, commented, “We are immensely proud to partner with Forest Green Rovers as their hydration sponsor. At Culligan UK, we care about providing better, sustainable drinking water for everyone – at home, at work, and on the go. By providing bottle refilling stations and other sustainable solutions in the Forest Green Rovers Stadium, we are proud to be working together to reduce the usage of single-use plastics as FGR continues to set the standard in football.”